Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Richard Charles in The Secret Garden






   This is the only picture from a musical stage version of Frances Burnett's The Secret Garden. I still have a couple versions of that I saw years ago. This one was performed at Salisbury Theatre in 1983, one year after Oliver Twist 1982. Colin Craven looks very like Oliver Twist in that movie--as much so as the dauphin in Clive Donner's The Scarlet Pimpernel!
    Charles was on stage for more than he was ever on screen. Colin Craven, the young invalid heir to Mistlethwaite Manor, was one role he would fit nearly as well as that of Oliver Twist and Louis-Charles Capet. I've seen many versions of The Secret Garden over the years with the roles played by other actors. The Charles version was, of course, stage only and was never filmed.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was macht Richard Charles heute? Er spielte seinen Filmrollen so gut, …ich kann mir nicht vorstellen das ein Junge mit solchen Qualitäten später keine Filme mehr spielt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a surprise to me too, but I don't think he ever acted again. I think he just played the parts grownups wanted him to play. Someone on youtube said he's a caregiver now, but I don't know myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently he only acted in the parts grownups wanted him to play back then. Someone on youtube said though, that they worked with him, and that he's a caregiver now, with a wife and five kids

    ReplyDelete